Fall Meals for Healthy Skin
Fall is finally here, and with the changing season comes a variety of delicious foods (Did you notice the sudden appearance of all things pumpkin in stores?). We all know that we can protect our skin by applying sunscreen and using skin products to address issues like acne, but eating a well-balanced, nutrient-rich diet can also help the skin from the inside out. The following fall foods are filled with benefits for healthy skin!
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal – The perfect fall breakfast! Pumpkins are rich in beta-carotene, which converts to skin aging fighting vitamin A, while oats are low on the glycemic index so it won’t contribute to skin outbreaks often caused by high-index foods.
- Zucchini Chickpea Burgers – Vegan and gluten-free! Sunflower seeds that are used in this dish are high in vitamin E, which can help protect the skin from acne, and zucchini is high in vitamin C, which is known for having antioxidant properties.
- Acorn Squash and Kale over Penne – Squash is rich in vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-inflammatory properties for the skin.
- Chickpea, Tomato, and Spelt Soup – Tomatoes have antioxidants called lycopene, and chickpeas help fight skin aging.
- Hearty Garlic Greens – Autumn greens like Swiss chard, mustard greens and kale are packed with vitamin C and beta-carotene.
- Apples with Dark Chocolate and Walnuts – Don’t forget dessert! Apples are rich in fiber, which can help prevent toxins from building up in your skin to cause acne and other problems, and chocolate contains antioxidants that protect the skin from UV damage.
These nutrient rich meals can help support skin health, but if you are struggling with stubborn skin conditions or have any concerns about your skin, hair, or nail health, it is important to consult with a board-certified dermatologist like Dr. Juan Vaillant. Dr. Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology has been specializing in dermatology, and anatomic & clinical pathology for many decades. Whether you suffer from acne, eczema, dandruff or skin cancer, Dr. Vaillant can help! Please call our Old Bridge office at (732) 679-0222 to schedule an appointment today!