Top Reasons Men Lose Hair
For many, hair loss can be a devastating, embarrassing occurrence. It’s a common thing though; 85 percent of men experience hair loss by age 50. Your head actually sheds between 50 and 100 hairs daily, but the difference comes in whether your scalp is sprouting enough to replace those falling follicles.
What causes hair loss?
There are lots of things that can contribute to you losing your hair, including genetics and lifestyle. Here are five of the most common issues that we see here at Old Bridge Dermatology that affect your hair follicles.
- Stress – Severe emotional stress or intense physical stress can lead to a hair loss issue called telogen effluvium. This condition can cause someone to lose up to 70 percent of their hair. Luckily, your body usually restarts hair production after you bounce back emotionally.
- Diet – Anemia, which is caused by iron deficiency, is a leading cause of brittle or thinning hair. Hair loss can also come from low levels of biotin, vitamin B12, or zinc.
- Medication – Often, drugs used to treat depression, high blood pressure, and arthritis, come with hair-loss side effects. This one can be ruled out by chatting with your dermatologist about your medications.
- Alopecia Areata – This condition affects 6.8 million Americans and appears as a round, shiny bald patch. It’s an autoimmune condition where your immune system attacks your follicles, causing hair to fall out.
- Androgenetic Alopeci – This ultra-common hereditary issue is known as male-pattern baldness is related to testosterone levels. It often appears as a receding M-shaped hairline. male-pattern baldness is related to testosterone levels.
You don’t have to suffer from hair loss – there are options to help you get through it! Before you start a treatment though, make an appointment with us to discuss the best treatment options. Often, treatment consists of a simple lifestyle change!
If you’re dealing with hair loss or any other skin, nail, or hair issues, call us for an appointment today. Dr. Juan Vaillant has over 30 years of experience to help assess and treat any skin, nail, or hair problem that you are experiencing. To schedule an appointment at our convenient Old Bridge, NJ office, call us today at 732-679-0222.