When To Get An Adult Rash Checked Out
When you search around for rash information online, you get lots of hits on children’s eczema or cures for diaper rash, but adults get rashes too! Conditions such as blisters, hives, and itchy, red splotches are all common issues associated with rashes. It can be nerve-wracking when a skin issue like this arises. That’s why the skin care professionals here at Old Bridge Dermatology put together this handy list of times you should check in with your dermatologist if you have a rash.
Check in with your dermatologist if you have a rash with these issues:
- It appears suddenly – Sudden onset rashes could be a severe allergic reaction to a food, medication, or something you touched like poison ivy. Depending on the situation, and any known allergies, this could be a serious issue that requires a call into 911.
- A rapidly spreading rash – Many bacterial or viral infections come with a rash that takes over the entire body, as do many allergic reactions.
- A rash with infection – If you’re itching and scratching at a rash, you can easily break the skin, opening yourself up to an infection. If you see anything excreting from a rash – especially if coupled with a bad smell – it’s absolutely time to check in with a dermatologist.
- Severe pain or burning sensation – Shingles are a serious issue that come with these symptoms, get them checked by a skin care professional.
- A Fever – Rashes that come with a fever can indicate a severe infection or even an allergic reaction. Shingles, scarlet fever, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and many other conditions come with a rash and a fever.
This is by no means a complete and comprehensive list. As a general rule, if there are changes in your skin, you should always check in with your dermatologist!
It can be daunting to have a skin condition pop up out of nowhere. Instead of turning to Dr. Google to try to determine the cause of a rash, you should seek the assistance of an experienced, board-certified dermatologist. Here at Old Bridge Dermatology, our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant, has over 30 years of experience diagnosing and treating dermatological issues. Give our conveniently located Old Bridge, NJ office a call today at (732) 679-0222 for an appointment.