What Your Skin Says About Your Health
Your skin is the largest organ of your body, so it has a lot to say about your overall health. Not only does your skin protect you and help with temperature maintenance, but it also acts as a barometer of other health conditions that are not directly related to your skin, nails, and hair.
Some of the internal conditions that exhibit signs on your skin include:
- Liver disease—Yellowing of the skin may be an indication of jaundice and possible liver complications, including liver failure.
- Diabetes—Waxy, yellow bumps on the skin of your legs, chest, and arms may indicate uncontrolled diabetic complications.
- Thyroid condition—If your thyroid gland isn’t functioning properly you may see mild rashes develop on your fingers and upper arm areas. Hair loss, brittle nails, and dry skin may also be evidenced.
- Dermatomyositis—This is an inflammatory muscle condition associated with cancer. It can present as scaly bumps on the knuckles and display purple rashes on skin exposed to the sun.
- Osteoporosis—Women who have gone through menopause may show bone density decreases by the deep wrinkles in the skin of the face and neck.
Pay careful attention to your skin and notice any changes that may be indicative of other health issues. Bring any abnormalities you observe to the attention of your dermatologist to ensure proper diagnosis and recommendations for treatment.
Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology has been treating patients for hair, skin, and nail problems for over 30 years, and has the extensive background needed to help address a variety of dermatological issues. Dr. Vaillant has successfully treated acne, eczema, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, and nail fungus. If you are looking for an amiable, highly skilled dermatologist, call our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 and make an appointment.