5 Summer Skin Care Tips
The summer season means shorts, sandals, beaches, and lots of sun! Although some people enjoy the look of sun-tanned skin, it is important to keep in mind the dangers of excessive sun exposure. Sun exposure, in addition to hot and dry weather can contribute to increased chances of skin cancer and early skin aging. Follow these tips to maintain and prepare your skin for the summer!
- Stay hydrated – Hotter temperatures means your body loses more water through sweating and internal dehydration, so up your water intake.
- Apply sunscreen repeatedly – Don’t just wear sunscreen when you’re planning to hit the beach. Both UVA and UVB rays can penetrate the skin’s layers even on cloudy days to cause redness, burning, and skin aging signs like wrinkles, freckles, and age spots. Make it a habit to apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30 to all exposed areas.
- Moisturize – You can help lock in moisture after washing your face or showering by applying a moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin type. Many include SPF, which can be reapplied throughout the day for extra protection.
- Protect your lips – Your lips are also vulnerable to skin damage. Protect them by regularly applying a lip balm that includes SPF and moisturizer.
- Treat over-exposed skin – Sometimes you may forget to apply sunscreen or be outdoors longer than anticipated. Soothe your skin with aloe or other cooling gels to prevent redness, inflammation and peeling.
If you have particularly oily, dry, or sensitive skin, it is important to know what types of products will adequately protect your skin without irritating it. Dr. Juan Vaillant at Old Bridge Dermatology has over 30 years of experience treating patients for skin issues resulting from sun damage, such as skin cancer and age spots. Dr. Vaillant can help you not only with all kinds of skin issues, but also with hair and nail conditions like nail fungus, hair loss, and dandruff. Please call our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 to schedule an appointment!