Dermatologists Treat Many Conditions
Dermatologists see a wide variety of problems involving the skin, scalp, and nails, treating everything from contagious skin diseases, bites, and infections, to benign tumors and cancers.
Some of these conditions include the following:
- Acne—This is one of the most common skin conditions and it affects people of all ages and ethnicities. Acne includes not only pimples, but also blackheads, whiteheads, papules, cysts and nodules. It can appear in many places including the face, back, chest, neck, shoulders, upper arms and buttocks. Treatment can include antibiotics, ointments and laser therapy.
- Eczema or dermatitis—is a common rash that often appears suddenly in children, but rarely is seen in adults. It makes the skin dry, scaly, and itchy and can cause bubbling and oozing of fluid. Medicine and other therapies will be prescribed as necessary to help control itching, reduce swelling and redness, clear infections, and remove scaly lesions.
- Skin cancer—Basal cell carcinoma is the most frequently diagnosed skin cancer. This type of cancer grows slowly and rarely spreads to other locations on the body. Early detection of skin cancer is crucial to getting effective treatment.
- Hair and scalp problems—Thinning hair and dandruff are commonly treated by dermatologists. Since a variety of skin conditions can cause dandruff, a correct diagnosis is essential.
- Hives—are a very common condition consisting of pink welts that can occur anywhere on the skin. Ranging in size from as small as a pea, to covering large areas of the body, they typically last only a few hours before fading away. The cause may be from a virus or an allergic reaction to certain foods and medications.
If you are dealing with any of these issues, it is important to be seen by an experienced dermatologist to develop the most effective treatment plan for your individual needs.
Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology has been treating patients for hair, skin, and nail problems for over 30 years, and has the extensive background needed to help address a variety of dermatological issues. Dr. Vaillant has successfully treated acne, eczema, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, and nail fungus. If you are looking for an amiable, highly skilled dermatologist, call our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 and make an appointment.