5 Tips for Preventing Dry Hair
The crisp, cool air of fall is often a welcomed change after a hot, humid summer, but it can also cause dry and parched hair. No one wants to have hair that resembles a bird’s nest, so incorporate these tips into your routine to keep your hair luscious and healthy!
- Use conditioner after shampooing – Instead of opting for a 2-in-1 product, use a gentle shampoo followed by a conditioner that is specifically made for dry hair. That way you can lock in extra moisture and restore shine.
- Minimize styling – Using hair dryers, flat irons, curlers, and other tools to style your hair can lead to damaged and dry hair. Instead, dry your hair by gently patting and squeezing with a towel, or use low-heat settings for the occasional blow-drying.
- Avoid harsh products – Products that help perm, straighten, and color hair can quickly damage hair. Consult with an experienced hair stylist if you choose to alter your hair so that your hair is properly conditioned and cared for to minimize damage.
- Avoid tight hairstyles – Pulling your hair back in a tight ponytail or bun can often lead to hair breakage and hair loss, so opt for looser styles.
- Improve your diet – Making sure you get enough iron and protein can help improve your hair health and prevent hair breakage.
It can be easy to forget about hair care, but following these simple tips will lead to healthier hair and a happier you. If your dry hair does not improve, or you notice excessive hair loss or damage, consult with a board-certified dermatologist who can assess your specific condition. Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology treats all kinds of hair, nail, and skin conditions, so whether you have dandruff, hair loss, acne, or nail fungus, Dr. Vaillant can use his specialties in dermatology and anatomic & clinical pathology to improve your health! To schedule an appointment, please contact our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 today!