5 Common Conditions Dermatologists Treat
When people hear dermatology, many think of acne, but dermatologists diagnose and treat many types of conditions related to the skin, scalp, and nails.
- Acne is the most common skin disease and affects people of all ages. It is usually seen on the face, back, neck, and chest, and occurs when oil and dead skin cells clog hair follicles, which can lead to inflammation and infection. Treatment differs depending on the severity of the acne, ranging from topical ointments, antibiotics, to laser therapy and acne removal.
- Dandruff is a common condition in which dry pieces of skin flake off of the scalp. It is usually treatable with dandruff shampoo, but persistent flaking and itching may be due to other dermatological conditions such as eczema or seborrheic dermatitis so it best to consult a dermatologist.
- Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes skin cells to build up to create red, dry scaly patches. It is known to be associated with diabetes, heart disease, and stress. While there is no cure, there are topical ointments, light therapy, and other treatments available.
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the U.S. and occurs mostly on skin frequently exposed to sunlight. Avoiding UV radiation and using sunscreen can help reduce risk, and early detection is very important in increasing chances of effective treatment.
- Warts are rough patches of skin growth caused by human papilloma virus (HPV). If warts don’t disappear on their own, there are several treatments available to remove them.
Dr. Juan Vaillant at Old Bridge Dermatology is a board-certified dermatologist who has been seeing patients for over 30 years. With his vast experience and specialties in anatomic & clinical pathology, he gives patients accurate diagnoses and treatment plans catered to each person. If you notice any discomfort or abnormalities in your skin, scalp or nails, don’t wait to see if they go away. Seeing a dermatologist will ensure a faster and effective recovery, helping you achieve healthier skin! Please call (732) 679-0222 to make an appointment at our office in Old Bridge!