Gentle and Natural Oily Skin Treatments
Oily skin can be a pain to deal with, and the endless shelves of products at the pharmacy can be a confusing headache to choose from. Your skin turns oily when the glands right under the surface of your skin produce excessive amounts of sebum. Normally sebum is a healthy secretion, but when too much is secreted, it can cause acne, clogged pores, and other skin issues. Many of the products at the store have harsh chemicals. To avoid those, we put together some gentle and natural ways to help manage oil skin.
Follow these tips to gently manage your oily skin:
- Eat well for your skin – fried foods, sugary treats, and overly-processed foods all contribute to oily skin. Fresh veggies are where it’s at for the most beneficial nutrients for your skin.
- Try honey – honey is a natural skin moisturizer that won’t leave you oily, plus it has antibacterial purposes. Apply raw honey to your face and let it dry for 15 minutes. Rinse well with warm water.
- Do a clay mask – just add water to French green clay, which comes in a powder form, for a DIY face mask. Apply it to your face until it dries, then rinse with warm water, and pat dry.
- Blot your face – use blotting papers throughout the day to soak up any excess oil.
- Wash your face daily – preferably twice-a-day. Avoid any harsh soaps that are loaded with chemicals. Glycerin soap is a good option that is hypoallergenic and safe for your skin.
- Choose oil-free products – switch to a powder sunscreen and oil-free makeup to avoid layering extra oil on your skin.
Everyone’s skin is unique and different. If you’re dealing with oily skin and the natural remedies we laid out don’t quite cut it, it’s time to check in with your dermatologist. A skincare professional can assess your situation and find the best solution for your skin.
If you are dealing with oily skin, or any other skin, nail, or hair issues, give us a call today. Here at Old Bridge Dermatology, our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant, has over 30 years of experience to help assess and treat any skin, nail, or hair problem that you are experiencing. To schedule an appointment at our convenient Old Bridge, NJ office, call us today at 732-679-0222.