Caring For Your Nails In Cold Weather
Cold weather seems to change every aspect of our bodies, including our nails. Do your nails become dry and brittle during the fall and winter? Cold, dry weather is definitely to blame! Luckily, we are here to help teach you ways to keep your nails healthy, strong, and protected through every cold snap!
As with your skin, one of the most important aspects of cold-weather nail care is preventing moisture loss. Follow these tips to ensure your nails retain moisture!
- Apply moisturizer: Definitely every morning and night, but ideally also after every time you wash your hands, you should apply lotion to your hands, nails, and cuticles to trap in moisture. Keep a bottle of lotion by your sink or in your bag with you to make it easier.
- Care for your cuticles: Rub your cuticles with a mild oil to prevent them from drying and splitting.
- Cover up: Gloves can keep your hands warm, but they can also protect your skin and nails from harsh winter weather.
- Choose polish removers wisely: Nail polish removers can really dry your nails out. Go for an acetate rather than acetone or formaldehyde for better results.
- Cut out bad habits: If you’re one who picks or bites your nails, try hard to cut that out now before cold weather dries them out and makes them crack!
- Stay hydrated: Keep your moisture up from the inside out by drinking water regularly. Keep a water bottle with you wherever you go.
These simple steps can go a long way in retaining moisture and boosting your nail health during the fall and winter months. If you do encounter an issue with your nails, it’s important to consult with an experienced skin care professional who can help set you straight.
If you are dealing with dried out, flaky nails, or any other skin, nail, or hair issues it’s time to give us a call today. Here at Old Bridge Dermatology, our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant, can help you assess and treat any skin, nail, or hair problem that you are experiencing. To schedule an appointment at our convenient Old Bridge, NJ office, call us today at 732-679-0222.