Cleansing Your Face The Right Way
Many of us are cognizant of putting our “best face” forward. Keeping your face clean and clear is one of the best ways to treat and prevent several common skin issues. This daily face washing routine might seem like a simple process that doesn’t need a step-by-step instructional layout, but there are many factors that can affect skin health.
Here at Old Bridge Dermatology, we’re here to help you put that best face forward. That’s why we put together this list of common face washing mistakes, and how you can avoid them:
Avoid these face-washing faux pas:
- Choosing a fragrant cleanser: Cleansers with fragrance can smell great, but those extra chemicals can irritate your skin. Stick to hypoallergenic, fragrance-free cleansers.
- Washing only once a day: Debris and oil build up on your face while you sleep, so a cleanse in the morning is a must. During the day, sweat and oils build up as well, so a before-bed cleansing is also necessary.
- Using the wrong water temperature: Water that is too hot can be damaging to the delicate skin on your face. Tepid or slightly warm water will give you a nice comfortable cleanse.
- Not knowing your skin type: Do you have oily or dry skin? Maybe your T-zone is dry, but the rest of your face gets oily. Knowing these characteristics will help you pick the right type of cleanser. A foaming cleanser can help oily skin, while dry or sensitive skins benefit from a gentle hypoallergenic cleanser to prevent irritation.
- Not moisturizing: After washing and drying your face, it’s important to protect it. A moisturizer acts as a barrier that helps retain much-needed moisture, preventing itchiness, dryness, and wrinkles.
Proper face-washing techniques will help improve and maintain your skin health. If you’re dealing with specific skin, hair, or nail issues, it’s time to check in with your dermatologist. Here at Old Bridge Dermatology, our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant, can help you address any other skin, nail, or hair problem that you are experiencing. To schedule an appointment at our convenient Old Bridge, NJ office, call us today at 732-679-0222.