What Does a Dermatologist Treat?
A lot of people know to turn to their dermatologist when they have a mole or skin growth that is suspect, but did you know that dermatologists see a whole array of other issues? Dermatologists work to treat problems of the skin, scalp, and nails. They treat everything from skin infections, skin diseases, bug bites, fungal infections, and dandruff, to benign tumors and cancers.
Here are some of the most common conditions that skin care experts treat:
- Hair issues – dandruff and hair loss are conditions that dermatologists regularly treat. There are a myriad of issues that cause dandruff and thinning hair, so diagnosis from a dermatologist is necessary.
- Acne – this incredibly common skin issue affects people of all ages and backgrounds. Acne doesn’t include just the typical teenage pimples, but also blackheads, whiteheads, cysts, papules, and nodules. It often occurs on the face, but acne can also pop up on the back, chest, neck, shoulders, arms, and buttocks. Depending on the severity, treatment ranges from antibiotics and ointments to laser therapy.
- Hives – these pink and red welts can occur anywhere on the skin and have a lengthy list of potential causes. Viruses and allergic reactions to foods and medicines are top of the list, but a dermatological exam is necessary to determine the actual cause. The size, shape, and range of hives can vary widely, as can the length they last on your body.
- Eczema – children often suffer from this suddenly-appearing rash condition. It causes dry skin that can itch, bubble, or ooze. Medicines prescribed by a dermatologist or other therapies can help control the itching, reduce swelling, remove lesions, and clear infections.
- Skin cancer – The most commonly diagnosed skin cancer is basal cell carcinoma. The typical cause is sun exposure, but it can also pop up on areas of the skin not typically exposed to sun. Early skin cancer detection is the best way to ensure effective treatment.
If you are dealing with any of the above conditions, or any other skin, hair, or nail issues, we are here to help. Our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant here at Old Bridge Dermatology has over 30 years of experience treating a myriad of skin, nail, and hair issues. Give us a call today at 732-679-0222 to book an appointment at our conveniently located Old Bridge, NJ office.