Tips For Healthy Hair In The Summer Heat
For some people, the hot summer months come with a slew of bad hair days. With some extra TLC though, your hair can keep its vibrancy even on a scorcher of a day. Too much sun exposure can leave your hair dried out and too much moisture in the air can make it frizzy. That’s why we put together a few tips to ensure your hair stays vibrant and beautiful even on when summer is in full swing.
Follow these tips for healthy summer hair:
- Start with a summer cut. Starting the summer out with a trim will get rid of damaged or split ends and kick the season off with a healthy start.
- Protect from sun damage. Look for a product that has UV filters. These products help prevent sun damage. A wide-brimmed sun hat will also keep your hair from getting scorched (not to mention your scalp and ears, which vulnerable to skin cancer!).
- Ditch the dryer. Hair dryers, flat irons, curlers, or any other styling tools that utilize a heating element will quickly leave your hair dry and damaged. Gently pat and squeeze your hair with a towel after a shower for best results. If you find yourself in a hurry and must use a blow dryer, set it on a low-heat setting.
- Ban the bun. Tight buns or ponytails can lead to hair breakage or hair loss. Let your hair fly free when possible.
- Avoid harsh chemicals. Chemical straighteners or colors can damage your hair, especially if not used properly. Check in with an experienced hairstylist and your dermatologist for proper hair treatment to prevent harsh damage.
- Diet goes a long way. Iron and protein-rich diets are a must to maintain hair and skin health.
If you’re dealing with hair loss, dry, damaged hair, or any issue with your skin, hair, or nails, give us a call here at Old Bridge Dermatology. Our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant has been treating patients’ hair, skin, and nail issues for over 30 years. If you’re looking for a helpful, highly skilled dermatologist, call our conveniently located Old Bridge, NJ office at (732) 679-0222 for an appointment today!