Get a Good Night Sleep For Your Skin
As life gets busy and hectic, sometimes we find ourselves staying up later and later just to stretch the day out as long as possible and complete every task. This can be detrimental to not only your mood but also the health of your skin! Good sleep boosts your mental health and can provide major benefits for your skin.
How does good sleep affect my skin?
- Increases collagen production: As you sleep, your body has a chance to replenish and rejuvenate, producing collagen and hyaluronic acid. Both nutrients boost the elasticity of your skin.
- Reduce flare-ups: Getting over 6 hours each night will heighten your immune system and can help reduce flare-ups of skin conditions like psoriasis, acne, and eczema.
- Reduces stress: Stress hormones such as cortisol can cause skin conditions like acne or dermatitis to readily flare up. A solid sleep helps keep your stress levels down.
- Improves your complexion: Blood flows through your body as you sleep, making your skin glow and appear healthier.
We can hear you from here saying, “yeah, but how do I get more sleep?!” We can’t do all your chores for you, unfortunately, but we’ve got a few simple tips to help you get a more restful sleep.
- Eat right: Skip the late-night snacks. Large meals just hours before bed can make you restless.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking fluids throughout the day (not slamming a bunch before bed) keeps your body regulated.
- Make your bed for sleep: Get out of the habit of working or reading in your bed, and only use it for sleep.
- Put away that phone: Electronic devices and screens stimulate our brains and make it tougher to go to sleep. Set boundaries for yourself to not bring your phone or laptop in the bedroom at night if necessary.
We know it can be tough to find the right balance when life is busy but getting a solid sleep regularly can drastically improve your skin health and your outlook. If you’re dealing with any skin issues – from lack of sleep or anything else – it’s time to give us a call! Our dermatologist here at Old Bridge Dermatology, Dr. Juan Vaillant, has over 30 years of extensive professional skincare treatment experience to get to the bottom of your needs. Schedule an appointment with us today by calling our conveniently located Old Bridge, NJ office at 732-679-0222.