4 Ways Exercise Can Help Your Skin
We’re finally shaking off winter and getting into some seriously sunny spring weather here in New Jersey – what a great time to start a new exercise routine! You often hear about how exercise benefits your heart, or your body, but did you know it’s also incredibly beneficial to your skin? For example, regular exercise can even reverse the natural effects of aging, such as wrinkles and add vibrancy to skin that is losing its elasticity!
We’re huge proponents of a good exercise regimen here at Old Bridge Dermatology! That’s why we put together this list of how exercise can improve your skin health:
- Increase blood circulation – when you regularly exercise you get your blood pumping! This will nourish your skin by keeping your cells pumped with freshly oxygenated blood, which will give you a nice glow. It can also help to rapidly remove pore-clogging toxins from your body.
- Produce endorphins – exercise has been shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and cortisol levels. A high amount of those things typically add to skin care woes like acne and eczema.
- Sleep better – a regular exercise routine lends to healthy sleep patterns and your skin repairs itself while you sleep.
- Increase collagen production – remember earlier when we said exercise can even reverse aging effects? Collagen helps to keep your skin firm and elastic, which can keep you looking young!
As with any new sport or exercise regimen, chat with your doctor before starting. You can also help to keep your skin clear by doing the following during or right after your exercise:
- Wear sunscreen and protective clothing to prevent sunburn
- Exercise in shady spots
- Use cool compresses to keep your skin temperature regulated
- Shower or wash your face directly after working out
Exercise is not intended to cure skin care issues, but it has been proven to prevent some! If you’re dealing with any skin condition, consult with a board-certified dermatologist for a proper assessment. Our dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant, has over 30 years of skin care experience diagnosing and treating dermatological issues. Call our conveniently located Old Bridge, NJ office today at (732) 679-0222 for an appointment.