5 Common Children’s Skin Issues
When you discover a rash, blister, or bump somewhere on your child’s body, it can be quite a disconcerting experience. If the skin issue had manifested on your own body, you might be able to confidently assess what might have caused it, or carefully describe your symptoms to a skilled dermatologist for proper diagnosis. However, children often don’t have the language skills or are not in tune with their bodies enough to describe how they feel, which can make a new skin issue a real head-scratcher. We put together a list of common skin issues that pop up in children:
Common children’s skin issues:
- Heat Rash – this common issue is caused by blocked sweat glands. Heat rashes can be remedied by keeping your child’s skin cool and dry.
- Diaper Rash – this issue is most likely caused by not changing diapers frequently enough. While it might seem like an easy fix, it can lead to yeast infections, so ensure you’re changing diapers often.
- Cradle cap – new parents often get pretty worried with this one since it causes yellow crusty patches to form on an infant’s scalp. A couple of drops of mineral oil or a medicated shampoo can do the trick to treat this issue.
- Coxsackie disease – Also known as hand-foot-mouth disease, this virus causes painful rashes on the hands and feet. It can also manifest as painful sores in the throat and around the mouth. The condition usually subsides in ten days or less. It is highly contagious though, so quarantine is usually recommended during those times.
- Warts – though warts are generally painless, the sight of them can be off-putting and worrisome. There are lots of over-the-counter wart remedies, but the best results will come if you seek treatment from a professional dermatologist.
If you’ve noticed any change in your child’s skin, give us a call today! Here at Old Bridge Dermatology, our board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Juan Vaillant, has decades of specialization in clinical and anatomic pathology and can ensure healthy, happy skin for your family. Dr. Vaillant commonly treats conditions such as age spots, acne, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, and nail fungus. Contact our Old Bridge, NJ office at (732) 679-0222 for an appointment today!