How To Treat Oily Skin Naturally
Oily skin is caused by the excess production of sebum from the sebaceous glands which are located right under the surface of your skin. Normally sebum is a healthy secretion, but when your glands secrete too much oil it can clog your pores and lead to acne and other skin conditions. You can reduce symptoms of oily skin at home without the use of harsh chemicals or prescription drugs.
Some gentle ways to help manage your oily skin include the following:
- Wash your face at least once a day–and preferably twice, but don’t use harsh soaps and detergents. Glycerin soap is an excellent option.
- Eat a proper diet–Avoid fried foods, minimize sugar intake, and don’t eat overly-processed foods. Eat plenty of fresh foods and veggies to get the most amount of beneficial nutrients for your skin.
- Use blotting papers–Soak up excess oil throughout the day with these inexpensive papers.
- Honey is good for your skin–It keeps your skin moist without being oily. Honey also has antibacterial properties. Use raw honey, apply to your face and let dry for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Clay masks–You can make your own clay mask with French green clay that comes in a powder form. Just add water to make a paste. Apply to your face and leave it in place until it dries. Remove with warm water and pat dry.
- Use oil-free products–including powdered sunscreens and makeup to avoid adding excess oil to your skin.
Since everyone has unique skin qualities, it is always best to consult with an experienced dermatologist for the proper care. Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology has been treating patients for hair, skin, and nail problems for over 30 years, and has the extensive background needed to help address a variety of dermatological issues. Dr. Vaillant has successfully treated acne, eczema, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, and nail fungus. If you are looking for an amiable, highly skilled dermatologist, call our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 and make an appointment.