Healthy Food for Your Hair
Some of the best ways to take care of your hair are right in your food! So instead of relying on chemical hair care products to do wonders for your hair, enrich your hair from the inside out by consuming foods with abundant nutrients and vitamins.
Some of the best food choices for your hair include the following:
- Leafy green vegetables—Kale and spinach are becoming ever more popular and for good reason—they are loaded with iron and other minerals which are essential for preventing hair loss.
- Fruits rich in vitamin C—You just can’t beat natural sources of vitamin C to boost your iron absorption and decrease hair breakage. Fruits including blueberries, cranberries, oranges, and strawberries can also invigorate capillaries and increase collagen output.
- Beans and nuts—Your hair needs lots of protein and beans are an abundant source. Nuts contains boatloads of selenium, zinc, and Vitamin E which helps your hair rebound from sun exposure.
- Sweet potatoes—Unlike regular white potatoes, the sweet variety is rich in vital nutrients including beta carotene which is the precursor to vitamin A in the blood. Vitamin A increases the production of an oil in the scalp that is a natural conditioner and helps provide shine to your hair.
- Fish—Omega 3 fatty acids are great for your hair and fish like salmon, mackerel, and swordfish are loaded with these beneficial hair nutrients.
Good nutrition can go a long way to creating and maintaining healthy, shiny hair, skin and nails. However, any problems you notice should be brought to the attention of your skin care professional for proper diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology has been treating patients for hair, skin, and nail problems for over 30 years, and has the extensive background needed to help address a variety of dermatological issues. Dr. Vaillant has successfully treated acne, eczema, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, and nail fungus. If you are looking for an amiable, highly skilled dermatologist, call our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 and make an appointment.