Laser Hair Removal Basics
Summer is just around the corner, which means it will be time to say goodbye to long sleeves and pants! For those who strive for a smooth, hairless look, shaving frequently can become a cumbersome and frustrating process and can result in irritated skin. Fortunately, advances in technology have allowed for easier ways to remove unwanted hair, such as through laser hair removal.
How does it work?
- Lasers are used to disable hair follicles in the skin so that hair cannot regrow. Common treatment areas include the legs, arms, back, chest, face, bikini area, and neck, which will show decreased hair growth over time. A topical anesthetic is applied before the procedure so it is painless, especially compared to other hair removal methods such as waxing or tweezing.
Is it a one-time procedure?
- Most people will require 2 to 6 treatments, usually once every 4 to 6 weeks, for significant decrease in hair growth, and may need occasional maintenance treatments if some hair regrows.
How to prepare for the procedure:
- Ask the dermatologist questions about the laser type, your risk factors, any skin sensitivities and procedure.
- Avoid tanning, waxing and other cosmetic procedures for at least 2 weeks before the treatment
- Avoid strong fragrances and products on the area before and after treatment
Possible side effects following the procedure:
- Changes in skin color
For the best results, it is important to consult with a board-certified dermatologist who has the knowledge and expertise about skin-related issues. Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology treats a wide range of skin, hair, and nail issues for patients in the Old Bridge, NJ area. With over 30 years of experience and specialties in anatomic and clinical pathology, Dr. Vaillant takes great care in providing individualized compassionate care for his patients.
Common issues he treats include: acne, age spots, dandruff, eczema, hair loss, nail fungus, cold sores, warts, psoriasis, and skin cancer. For those who are curious about hair removal procedures, or want to schedule an appointment, please call our office at (732) 679-0222 today! We look forward to serving you.