Beauty Sleep for Your Skin
It’s not surprising that sleep is good for your health and makes you feel better, but did you know it can have benefits for your skin too? Read about the ways in which sleep can help you achieve healthier, clearer skin!
- Reduce inflammation – People who get less than 6 hours of sleep have higher levels of inflammatory proteins, so adding that extra hour or 2 can help with skin conditions like psoriasis, acne, and eczema.
- Reduce stress – Heightened levels of cortisol has been linked to worsening of skin conditions like acne and dermatitis.
- Increase collagen – Turns out there is such a thing as beauty sleep! More sleep means increased production of collagen and hyaluronic acid, which are responsible for giving your skin that youthful bounce and elasticity.
- Improved complexion – During sleep, there is increased blood flow to the skin, which results in healthier, glowing skin.
- Hydrate your skin – While you sleep, the hydration in your skin is restored, and excess water is processed for removal.
Want to improve your sleep? Follow these tips for better quality rest:
- Avoid electronics right before sleep
- Don’t eat a large meal late in the evening
- Hydrate yourself throughout the day
- Sleep in a dark, cool room
- Use comfortable, clean sheets and bedding
- Use a moisturizer before bed for optimal results
Sleeping more can be a challenge when you’re busy, but it can be one of the easiest things you can do to improve your skin and overall health. If you develop a skin condition or notice any abnormalities to your skin, hair, or nails, see a board-certified dermatologist for diagnosis and treatment. At Old Bridge Dermatology, Dr. Juan Vaillant and his dedicated staff help patients of all ages improve their hair, skin, and nail health through high quality dermatological care. Dr. Vaillant treats common conditions such as acne, dandruff, age spots, hair loss, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, skin cancer, and warts. Contact our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 for an appointment today!