Face Washing Basics
The New Year is a great time for a fresh start and a perfect time to evaluate your skin care regimen. One of the most basic yet important things for your skin health is face washing. Cleansing your face properly not only prevents breakouts but can also prevent other skin issues like acne, clogged pores and excessively oily or dry skin.
Check if you are washing your face properly with these steps!
- Choose a face cleanser that matches your skin type
- Dry: A cream-based alcohol-free gentle cleanser
- Oily: A foam or gel cleanser with a low pH
- Sensitive: A gentle fragrance-free cleanser
- Avoid using hot water. Lukewarm to cold water will prevent excessive irritation
- Use the tips of fingers to gently spread the cleanser on your face rather than scrubbing with your entire hand
- Avoid using a towel or other abrasive material to wash your face
- Thoroughly rinse with water, making sure to wash off the hairline area well
- Gently pat your face dry to avoid irritation to the skin
- Use a moisturizer to hydrate your skin after cleansing
Washing your face twice a day and after any exercise can help keep your skin clean, hydrated and healthy! If you have any skin issues like acne, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, dry skin, or skin cancer, consult with an experienced dermatologist for help with treatment and prevention.
At Old Bridge Dermatology, board-certified dermatologist Dr. Juan Vaillant has been treating patients for over 30 years for a variety of skin, hair, and nail issues. His expertise in dermatology, as well as anatomic and clinical pathology has helped many patients achieve healthier and stronger skin, hair, and nails. Contact our Old Bridge, NJ office for an appointment by calling (732) 679-0222 today!