Treating Damaged Winter Hair
Do you feel like your hair is suffering this season? Are you hiding your hair under hats and scarves? The dry and cold weather can be damaging and create unruly static electricity, but with these simple tips, you can regain luscious healthy hair.
- Reduce shampoo – Washing your hair frequently can dry out your scalp and hair, so keeping it to once every other day or every few days can help keep the moisture in.
- Use deep conditioner – Hydrating your hair is the key to prevent static electricity and improving the overall look of your locks, so using a deep conditioner after shampooing will improve your hair’s strength and shine.
- Let your hair air dry – Using a hair dryer to dry your hair can quickly dry out and damage your hair so try to let it air dry at least a few times a week.
- Avoid heated styling – Frequently using curling irons, straighteners, and perms can quickly damage your hair especially in the winter months so opt for a more natural style.
- Reduce stress – Yes, stress can affect the health of your hair so find ways to relax and take time for self-care.
If you notice excessive dryness, flakiness or hair loss, there may be an underlying issue so it is important to see an experienced dermatologist for a diagnosis. A board-certified dermatologist with decades of experience, Dr. Juan Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology can help with all types of hair, nail, and skin issues. Whether you need tips for staying healthy through the winter season, or struggle with acne, hair loss, psoriasis, eczema or skin cancer, Dr. Vaillant is committed to improving overall health through individualized care. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact our Old Bridge, NJ office today at (732) 679-0222!