Treatments for Age Spots
Despite the fact that aging is a natural process that we all go through, it can be disheartening to see the physical changes that occur over the years. One common change in skin is the appearance of age or liver spots. These brown or black round blemishes appear in areas most exposed to the sun, such as the face, shoulders, back of hands, and arms. Although they are painless and harmless, there are many who choose to have treatments done for improved skin health, self-esteem and appearance.
- Dermabrasion – The top layer of skin is exfoliated and surgically sanded to create a smoother surface.
- Cryosurgery – Hyperpigmented age spots are frozen with liquid nitrogen and then peeled from the skin to remove the darker pigment.
- Chemical peel – An acidic solution is applied to the skin to remove the outer layer of skin, which exposes a lighter, new layer.
- Laser therapy – Laser instruments are used to eradicate the melanocytes that cause the darker pigments of age spots, as well as promoting collagen and new skin production.
- Topical medications – Some patients respond well to topical prescription medications that can help lighten age spots.
As these treatments respond differently depending on your age, the number of age spots you have, as well as your skin type and risks of reactions, it is important to thoroughly discuss your treatment options with an experienced dermatologist like Dr. Juan Vaillant. Dr. Vaillant of Old Bridge Dermatology is a board-certified dermatologist who has helped patients with skin, hair, and nail conditions for over 30 years. From age spots, acne, psoriasis, to skin cancer, Dr. Vaillant has the expertise to help you achieve better skin, nail, and hair health. Please call our office in Old Bridge, NJ at (732) 679-0222 to schedule an appointment today!