Tips for Healthy Hair
This time of year when the air is cold and dry, do you notice that your hair doesn’t look or feel healthy? There may be steps in your hair care routine that may be contributing to excessive dryness or damaged hair. Here are some easy tips to help you achieve strong healthy hair:
- When washing your hair with shampoo, massage it into your scalp and then let it wash through the rest of your hair. Avoid rubbing the shampoo into the length of your hair.
- Always use conditioner after shampoo and concentrate on the tips.
- Change the frequency of washing depending on your hair type. Oily hair needs more frequent washing while dyed or chemically treated hair may need less.
- Let your hair air dry as much as possible. Heat from blow-drying, straighteners and curlers can be damaging.
- Avoid over brushing your hair. You do not need to do 100 strokes a day!
- Use a leave-in conditioner containing zinc oxide to protect your hair from UV radiation.
- If you go swimming, use a swim cap to protect your hair from chlorine and rinse your hair afterwards as soon as possible.
- Avoid getting hair treatments all at once. Spread out color treatments, perms, and relaxers to prevent excessive damage.
If following these tips do not improve the quality of your hair or you notice other problems such as hair loss or itchy scalp, consult with an experienced dermatologist. Dr. Juan Vaillant at Old Bridge Dermatology has been treating patients for over 30 years and continues to educate himself on advancements in the field. Dr. Vaillant can not only recognize underlying problems related to hair problems, but can also treat a variety of skin and nail conditions like acne, skin cancer, and nail fungus. If you need answers about dermatological issues, please contact us and make an appointment by calling (732) 679-0222 at our office in Old Bridge, NJ.