Common Skin Conditions in Children
One of the most unsettling occurrences as a parent is to discover a strange rash, bump or welt on our child’s body. Is it a disease? Is it contagious? How should it be treated? Oftentimes the conditions will go away with time, but many require the skilled eyes of a dermatologist to identify and treat the problem. The following are some of the most common skin conditions seen in children:
- Diaper dermatitis – Diaper dermatitis is the irritation of the skin, often as the result of infrequently changed wet or dirty diapers or due to a yeast infection.
- Eczema (atopic dermatitis) – An itchy, red, scaly skin condition that often appears on the child’s face as an infant. In older children it may appear on the creases of elbows and knees. Treatments include ways to prevent skin infections and relieve itching and pain.
- Hand-foot-mouth (coxsackie) disease – a viral disease that causes sores in the throat and rashes on the hands and feet. It usually subsides in about 10 days and may require pain medication.
- Heat rash results from blocked sweat glands and cause small red bumps. Keeping skin cool and dry may reduce rash.
- Warts – painless benign growths caused by human papilloma virus. Warts usually disappear over time but can be removed by a dermatologist.
- Seborrheic dermatitis (cradle cap) – causes crusty or oily yellow patches on infants’ scalp. It usually subsides over time but can be treated with mineral oil or medicated shampoo.
If you suspect any of these skin problems, it is important to see a dermatologist who can diagnose these conditions, as each requires specialized treatment plans. Fortunately at Old Bridge Dermatology, we have the skilled expertise of Dr. Juan Vaillant to diagnose and treat all types of skin, hair, and nail problems. With over 30 years of experience and the ability to speak 4 languages, he has a reputation for accurate diagnoses and individualized treatment plans. From children to seniors, Dr. Vaillant can help patients of all ages to achieve healthy clear skin! Please contact us or call (732)679-0222 to make an appointment!