Tips for Battling Dry Skin
This time of year when it is cold and windy outside and dry inside, many people suffer from dry skin. There are plenty of products that claim to repair dry skin, but it is difficult to tell what really works, and sometimes that is not enough. Here are some effective ways to help battle dry skin.
- It’s tempting to use hot water to warm up when it’s so cold outside, but it can dry out your skin further, so use warm water instead when washing your face and body.
- Avoid soaps and cleansers with harsh chemicals or fragrances. There are many fragrance-free gentle cleansers that will not irritate your skin.
- After you shower, pat skin dry and immediately use moisturizer to trap existing moisture in your skin. Petroleum jelly, shea butter, and mineral oils are great options. Don’t forget your hands after hand washing as well!
- Many people experience the driest skin on their hands, so wearing gloves when outside will help prevent cracked, dry skin.
- Use a humidifier – Although heaters are essential in the cold winters, they dry out the air so having a humidifier will help replenish the moisture indoors.
- Avoid chapped lips and protect them from sun damage with SPF lip balm.
Even after following these tips, if you do not find relief from dry, cracked, or itchy skin, it may be necessary to see a dermatologist like Dr. Juan G. Vaillant at Old Bridge Dermatology. Dr. Vaillant is a board-certified dermatologist with over 30 years of experience who has been serving patients all across the Old Bridge, New Jersey area. Whether you have eczema, skin cancer, or suffer from dry skin, Dr. Vaillant will make sure you get the right treatment to achieve healthier skin. To make an appointment, please contact us or call (732) 679-0222.